Friday at 8:40pm. It may be tough to stay late enough to watch this but I'll try to make a case for watching some of it. First, some facts I didn't know about her. From Wikipedia:
Charlotte Emma Aitchison was born in Cambridge, England, on 2 August 1992, the only child of nurse and flight attendant Shameera and entrepreneur and talent agent Jon Aitchison. Her mother was born into a Muslim family of Gujarati Indian descent in Uganda and moved to England after they were expelled by the Idi Amin regime. Her father is Scottish.
That's the third person I've come across recently that is descended from Indian Muslims expelled from Uganda. The second was a main suspect in the book I just read "London Falling". It was the first time I learned about that diaspora. The third person is NYC Mayor Zohran Mamdani.
Her Lollapalooza show has drawn great reviews:
"Charli xcx’s Lollapalooza Set Made Me Think There Might Be a God"
"Charli xcx delivers jaw-dropping drama amid made-for-movies downpour"
I pulled the setlist and created a Spotify playlist for it. I listened to the whole thing since I don't really know her music. It was a very eclectic mix.
I really like her new album "Music, Fashion, Film" and she plays a lot from it. Her previous album "Brat" was a cultural phenomenon. It's more straight-up dance pop than her new album which incorporates rock and heavy guitar. The cover is pretty cool, too, with John Cale, Marc Jacobs and Martin Scorsese. Music, Fashion, Film.
If she plays a similar setlist she'll start off with a few songs off her new album. It could be worth it to stick around for a bit.
"Yeah" is rocking. Cool video, too. Reminds me of Fischerspooner.
"SS26" is nice.
So is "Wink Wink"
This is the first song in the setlist. Damn good.

No comments:
Post a Comment